Monday, November 28, 2011

Khan Academy

Life has gone back to the 'fairly normal' zone after all of our family members left yesterday. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I got to spend time with my cousins that I hardly ever get to see, so that was fun.


Yesterday, I got a pretty good amount of editing done for me to be pretty happy with myself. Unfortunately, I'm over 9,000 words behind on NaNoWriMo, so I'm plotting my way to catch up. At my current rate of writing, I should hit 50,000 on December 11 :(


Anyway, I thought that I would show you something sorta random today. I get Writer's Block quite often, and I'm always looking for ways to get myself 'unstuck'. So, a while ago, we found this really cool website called Khan Academy, and its got all these lectures and math practices that you can watch or do! Now, I know that it doesn't sound all that great. Who wants to practice math or watch lectures when you could just be writing?


Well, the videos are very interesting, and a lot of times, I'll go through a couple of the math practices when I'm stuck in editing. It works like magic because when I come back to editing, I'm not stuck anymore! They've got stuff from Astronomy and Biology to Finance and Banking. There's practice for basic addition all the way up to calculus, and the best part is, it's completely free! The videos make everything easy to understand (yep, even the calculus). Here's their About page if you want to check it out: http://www.khanacademy.org/about


I just thought it was something really cool and worth noting!


What do you guys to do get unstuck?


--Jess

3 comments:

prerna pickett said...

thanks for sharing! I'm going to go check it out.

Reiko said...

The last I heard, the Khan Academy website had 50 million hits. Not surprising, is it? What a great educator he is!

C D Meetens said...

I admit, the thought of trying to resolve a math problem to cure writer's block doesn't fill me with instant excitement, but I do like the idea of the various subjects they do. Learning more about Astronomy or Biology or something could easily spark off a story in me, so thanks for the link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...