Friday, November 11, 2011

NaNoWriMo Day 11

First of all, I have to say that it's 11/11/11. November 11, 2011. This kind of day only comes around once every hundred years, so enjoy it!


Anyway, here's my NaNo Status Check:


GOAL: 50,000
TOTAL WORDS WRITTEN: 20,000
WORDS REMAINING: 30,000
DAYS REMAINING: 20
MOOD: A little stuck, but getting through



I'm pretty excited that I'm already 20,000 words through my sequel, but I'm a little stuck. I'm all caught up with my skeleton (my extremely detailed sketch), and when I was writing more of it, I got completely stuck. I've had the overall story planned out in my head for some time, but I'm not entirely sure how to get to the end!


As I was writing, I started to feel like some of the conversations were pointless. I started to see that I had already written things that I'd need to cut out. And it kind of hit me that I might not be moving the story along fast enough.


Of course, I'll never give up hope with my writing, but I hit that point that point that makes you wonder who is really going to care. Is my story interesting enough? Is it too cliched? What am I doing right? What am I doing wrong?


It's hard to push your doubts aside. It's hard to ignore that inner voice that begs for a reply. But all in all, I wouldn't be able to turn back even if I wanted to. I already wrote a novel. I've passed the point of no return.


The point is a cliched point of course. But it's a cliche that we tend to forget. The point is that we are doing this because we love it. In the end, it's really doesn't matter who loves what you write, or who doesn't love what you write.


So on that note, I better get back to work!


--Jess

3 comments:

fairbetty said...

Yay! Keep it up! Don't let your doubts stop you from finishing what you've started. You are awesome! Just create and enjoy the process. You learn from every experience, and this is a GREAT experience to learn from!!!

Reiko said...

Somewhat similar to your situation, I have struggled for the longest time about my blog site since you helped set it up for me in August 2011. I knew that it was a necessary ingredient in promoting my autobiography. But it seemed pointless to start a blog just for the sake of promoting it.

First and foremost, I believe that a blog (or anything else we produce) should be of value to others while, at the same time, it being a reflection of our passion – much like Steve Jobs and Apple products. Otherwise, what's the point? If no one cares, then little traffic will come its way. Along this train of thought, I began to think what questions people might ask me based on my book.

Chances are that they would ask me about Japan. Now, while Japan clearly holds a special place in my heart, it is no longer a major part of my everyday life. Nor am I convinced that I want to spend my limited time each day or week answering questions about Japan. I don’t even think that I’m qualified to do so as compared to nearly four decades ago when I first arrived here in this country. Also likely is that people might ask about my 20-year automotive career at Chrysler. Again, as important as those days were for me, they are in the past. As you are well aware, today, my time is devoted to investing. The autobiography as a genre, however, is usually far removed from the topic of investing.

After weeks and months of going in circles with those thoughts, I finally had a light-bulb moment the other day. My blog site should be about my journey to freedom and independence – because that’s exactly why I have chosen to be in this country and why I do what I do today day in and day out. I finally found an alignment of the value I may be able to provide to others and what I love doing each and every day of my life.

Your mood description, “A little stuck but getting through,” reminded me to let you know where I’m at regarding my blog site. Tomorrow and the next day, Grandpa and I will be at the WordPress Conference in Detroit, learning about how to use various features and functions available through WordPress for our respective blog sites.

Keep writing, Ms. J.K. McKendry! As always and forever, I love you to infinity!! Grandma Reiko

Meradeth Houston said...

The only way to get unstuck is to keep writing! (Says the writer who is helpless stuck with her own ending...) Good luck though--enjoy the process and don't think about the editing for now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...