Friday, July 20, 2012

Interview with Ashna Banga

Hello everyone!

Today, I'm interviewing Ashna Banga from Journal of a Bookworm!  So, let's get this started, shall we?

Good evening, Ashna!  Thanks so much for agreeing to the interview!  My first question is:


What books have influenced you most?


Umm... this should be a straightforward answer, but the fact is, while reading any book, I try to understand people and their behavior in different situations and thus, feel influenced by them.

Books themselves have been such a positive influence in my life, the best being that you know if something is happening the way it is, there's a reason or an influencing factor behind it and you can't judge without knowing everything.  Though, I feel influenced the most by books with kids as protagonists or that deals with a sensitive issue.

So every book influences you!  That makes sense, because everything that happens to you or anything you read will in some way influence you!  And, I like books with kids as protagonists :)


How long have you been blogging and how has it improved your writing?


Technically, I've been blogging for more than two years, but my book blog is 8 months old.  I'm not working on a book as of yet, but I can definitely say blogging has been an amazing platform for considerable improvement!  I mean, I've had the opportunity to read some amazing blogs, interact with people from all over the globe, with different ways of writing.  I sure write much better now than I did when I initially began blogging.

Besides, I've even developed more as a reader!

Yeah, it's pretty cool that we can talk to so many different writers from all over the world!


When did you start reading?


My parents tell me I started reading ever since I learned how to read, so it started pretty early.  I come from a place where many people are not into too much of reading, so it's kind of great, especially that I love it so much.  I am also blessed with wonderful family and relatives from abroad who gifted books.  I cherish them the most, still! :)

If not for them, I wouldn't have read books when I should have.  In fact, one of them gifted me a Harry Potter boxed set with the first four books when I was 12 and that is when the real passion actually began.

I still have to get around to reading the Harry Potter books.  I read the 4th one and loved it, but I just haven't read the rest!


What do you think constitutes a great book?


Whenever I think of a 'great' book, the first thing that comes to mind is a descriptive aspect.  Any book with a good description of people, places and behaviours can can steal my heart!  If I have a movie-kind-of-story in my head and if, the real movie based on the book matches that, it's awesome for me!

lack of appropriate descriptions when readers don't get what they were looking for, isn't very appealing to me.  Also, I like sensible characters, they can be cribbers, but they should have a human touch to them, not totally made-up.  Something realistic please.

And oh!  I adore happy endings and endings that answer all questions!  I hate abrupt endings where the readers are left wondering...

I have to agree... I like fulfilling endings.  But then, it's nice to have some loose end that leaves readers wanting a sequel!


Is there anything else we should know about you?


Sure!  I love photography, observing people, Calvin and Hobbes, I fantasize about mountaineering (which I'll sure do when I finish with college), and all sorts of adventure sports!  I love eating, but not cooking, just like I love great-looking clothes but not 'shop-till-you-drop' shopping!  And yeah, I'm also very clumsy.  Just don't hand me any fragile object ;)

Thank you, Ashna!  Unfortunately, we're out of time, but it's been so nice having you here!  Stop by again soon and good luck with all your reading and writing!


Have a great weekend everyone!

--Jess

11 comments:

russell1200 said...

I can't even remember everything I have read without some prompting half the time. Even on my review list, I will look at a book and say "what book is that?" and won't remember it until I klick through.

Unknown said...

I am a bit like that too, I have read so many books it takes me a while to remember that I have read them. I would say the same thing about movies, too!

Ashna said...

Thank you so much Jessica! :D Like, really!

Dreamer said...

Great interview. Loved it. :D

Bonnee Crawford said...

Lovely interview :) Mountaineering would be fun! The Harry Potter books are brilliant. Simply written, yet captivating. I like a satisfying ending, but I also love abrupt ending that leave me thinking... depends what mood I'm in. :)

kjmckendry said...

I haven't read Harry Potter yet. I like hiking but I'm not sure I would like climbing mountains.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Jess. Hi Ashna. Wonderful interview. Always good to learn more about the bloggers we meet!
I enjoyed revealing more about myself on Kathy's blog.

Ashna said...

Thanks everyone for these lovely words :)

David P. King said...

Great interview, Ashna. Thank for hosting, Jessica! :)

Reiko said...

Nice to meet you and get to know you better, Ashna! How wonderful it is, Jessica, that you get to interview those who have similar interests as you do! Love, Grandma

Nick Wilford said...

Nice to get to know Ashna. I agree that amazing description is a great thing to have in a book, where you can see everything vividly. If I see the movie of the book, though, it's rarely the same as what I pictured. Not necessarily bad, just a different imagining!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...