Monday, July 9, 2012

It's Monday Again + Book Reviews

First of all... yep, I'm back.  Promise!

So, I read three really good books last week.  I don't think I'll have time for a book review, so the least I can do is give them more publicity.

The first book was Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carol.



When "Through the Looking Glass" was published in 1871, readers were as delighted with that book as they were with Lewis Carroll's first masterpiece, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. In the topsy-turvy world that lies beyond the looking-glass, Alice meets such fantastical characters as Tweedledum and Tweedledee, Humpty Dumpty, and the Jabberwock.


--Goodreads

My thoughts:

This was a very good book once you get passed all the confusion.  I mean, this story follows about as much of a logical story line as a dream does.  And in a way, that's what made it so interesting!  A very fun read.


The second was Rise from Darkness by Ciara Knight.



Alexander Lorre gives new meaning to the term “tormented teen”. He’s a newly fallen angel, which means he has the self-control of a three-year-old, the hormones of a teenager and the strength of an angel. When he rescues Gaby Moore from drowning, the chemistry between them is undeniable. With a local demon threatening Gaby’s life, he struggles to find a balance between remaining close enough to protect her but distant enough to control his desires.

As danger draws closer, Gaby uncovers shattering secrets that will lead to an ultimate choice. Will she fight alongside her father, an earthbound hunter killing fallen angels and demons, give into the demon blood coursing through her veins and join the demon world, or save the man she loves from both? The first two choices damn her, but the last one could destroy them all.


--Goodreads

Loved this book.  It was so much fun to read and follow Alex and Gaby's struggle.  Overall, it was a wonderful story.

The third book was Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith: Precipice by John Jackson Miller.



For the ruthless Sith Order, failure is not an option. It is an offense punishable by death-and a fate to which Commander Yaru Korsin will not succumb. But on a crucial run to deliver troops and precious crystals to a combat hotspot in the Sith's war against the Republic, Korsin and the crew of the mining ship Omen are ambushed by a Jedi starfighter. And when the Sith craft crash-lands, torn and crippled, on a desolate alien planet, the hard-bitten captain finds himself at odds with desperate survivors on the brink of mutiny-and his own vengeful half brother, who's bent on seizing command. 

No matter the cost, Korsin vows that it will not be his blood and bones left behind on this unknown world. For the way of the Sith leaves little room for compromise-and none at all for mercy.

--Goodreads

First, I have to say I'm a sucker for Star Wars books.  I can't help that I'm a sci-fi Star Wars nerd!  It's a short story and a pretty quick read, but what I read was pretty good.  I haven't read a Star Wars book I haven't liked yet, and this one definitely didn't change my mind about them.

All of these books were really great, so check them out!

Happy Monday!

--Jess

4 comments:

PK HREZO said...

Hey Jess! I loved Through the Looking Glass. So imaginative.
The other 2 sound great as well. I just started reading Shadow & Bone and it made me think of you. I think you'd like it.
And I just finished Across the Universe. It was fun world building!
Have a great week!

prerna pickett said...

welcome back! Great suggestions.

Bonnee Crawford said...

Don't you just love getting a good read out of a few days?! :) Glad you found some good books. Thanks for sharing!

Nick Wilford said...

I've read some Star Trek novels, which I enjoyed, but not any Star Wars. I've heard great things about Ciara's books. And the Jabberwocky is one of the all-time classic poems!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...