Friday, May 25, 2012

Cheesiness, Nerves and Violins

Deep breath.

Double check strings.

Still in tune.

Another deep breath.

Stay calm.

I press my fingers into the wood, reviewing the notes, waiting for the moment.  The moment the piano will cue me in.

It starts before I'm ready, but then, it always does.  My bow falls lightly to the string.

A soft, milky sound echoes through the cavernous living room, reverberating off the glass chandelier.  Gentle whispers of previous notes fill the pauses.  Like ghosts.

Ahem.  Er, let's just skip the cheesy details and get on with this, shall we?

Anyway, I had an informal violin concert last Friday night at my grandparents house!  I haven't played at a concert for a year or two now, so it really did me good.

I won't deny it.  I was nervous.

Unlike in skating, getting nervous while playing violin has bad effects on me.  Like, my hands shake a little. And a little would normally be okay, but, seeing that my hands need to be precisely on the right note to play it right... well... it doesn't sound as good.

Anyway, enough talk.  My mom videoed the concert and I decided to share it with you.  I play it a little too fast, and I hit some wrong notes, but overall, I think I did pretty well under the circumstances.

(Excuse my grandma for saying "let's do a retake" at the end please...) So here's me playing:





And, I think you guys have the right to hear it the way it's supposed to be played, so in case you have enough time, here's Sarah Chang playing it:



Have a great weekend :)

--Jess

5 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I think you did a fine job. I cannot even imagine playing any musical instrument, much less a violin.

E. Arroyo said...

Nice. I would've felt the same. =)

Chuck said...

Still impressed with your version even though Sarah's is phenom. Keep at it!

PK HREZO said...

Wow that's a moving piece and I'm sure it's difficult to play. You did really well. I can only imagine how nerve-racking it is to play in front of an audience.
You are so multi-talented.... skating,writing, violin playing... what else do you have up your sleeve?? :)

Reiko said...

I don't know how I missed your blog back in May!?

I didn't know that you were nervous. I wanted the re-take because I slapped my forehead when I made a boo-boo, NOT because of how you played. In fact, I thought you did great! Love, Grandma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...