Monday, June 18, 2012

Interview with Esther Jones

Happy Monday everyone!!  Today, I'm interviewing Esther Jones because she was one of the two winners of this month's Knights of MicroFiction!

Okay, let the questions begin!!

So Esther, when did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I can't remember how old I was, but I was very young.  I wrote a story about a girl and a horse, and my parents told me it was very good.  I realized I might just have a talent.

What's your current WiP about?  We'd love a short summary!


Peter never considered that the undead he hunted might have a family, or that one of them would hunt him down and exact revenge.  Now a vampire himself, Peter is obsessed with finding the one who turned him--to thank him by taking his head off.

Lance has many regrets in his long life, not the least of which is turning Peter into a vampire.  However, more than anything, he misses his twin brother Raoul who Peter killed.

Christopher wants nothing more than to be just like Lance; first, because he thinks being a vampire is cool, then because he truly admires Lance (to the point of hero worship).  However, Lance is reluctant to turn another human.

Wow, sounds like a very interesting WiP!  I haven't read very many vampire stories, but it sounds like one I might pick up!
Now, what books have most influenced you?


Oh, my goodness.  So many.  I guess I'd have to say Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, anything by Terry Brooks, and the Harry Potter series.

Wow, I love Terry Brooks!  I read Star Wars: The Phantom Menace by him and I loved it.  Always been meaning to read the other two :)
What is the most difficult aspect of writing for you?


Novels.  I can toss off a poem, flash fiction, or short story quite easily, but I've never finished a novel.  I've got several ideas, but fleshing them out into that many words is so difficult for me.  I've always written very concisely, and I hardly ever put enough description into my scenes.

I totally agree.  Poems and flash fictions are the easier of the lot.  Short stories are difficult for me because they always end up wanting to be novels though.
So, what are your goals for this year?


Finish my current WiP (not sure if it's a novel or something shorter).

Awesome!  Good luck!
How long have you been blogging and how has it improved your writing?


I started my writing blog on April 1, 2012.  Before that, I had a photo-a-day-for-a-year blog.  Blogging about my own struggles and triumphs in writing and reading others' blogs has been an invaluable source of encouragement.  I've gone from thinking, "Maybe someday I'll write something and then think about maybe getting published" to actively working on a story with the intent of publishing.

Great job!  That transition from wanting to be published to actually writing is hard, but definitely essential (for obvious reasons, lol :)
What do you do when you're not writing?


I read (of course - lol), I play Lord of the Rings Online, I spend time with my husband, and I watch tv (mostly fantasy & sci-fi shows).

Is there anything else we should know about you?


I am the oldest of 8 children-- I have 1 younger sister, and 6 younger brothers.  I live in the middle of the Canadian prairies, although I grew up in the middle of beautiful British Columbia.  I play piano and guitar, and sometimes I write music.

Wow, that's so cool!  I always wanted to play guitar!


Unfortunately, that's all the time we have left today, so everyone give Esther Jones a round of applause and go congratulate/follow her blog!


Have a great Monday everyone!

--Jess

9 comments:

Kate said...

Very cool- I'm heading over to Esther's blog and following her right now!

M Pax said...

Great to meet Esther. Now that's a vampire story with an interesting twist.

Nick Wilford said...

Nice interview. I agree that novels are the hardest! I haven't read many vampire stories either but that one sounds good.

Esther Jones said...

Thanks for having me Jess. :)

Julie Dao said...

Great interview! I absolutely love The Hobbit and LOTR, so anyone who is inspired by those stories is all right by me :D Thanks both for sharing this!

Ashna said...

Loved reading! Great to know so much about one of the winners. :)

David P. King said...

Esther is awesome! Always appreciate a good interview so I can learn more about my fellow bloggers. :)

Bonnee Crawford said...

That's pretty cool of you to interview another blogger :) Glad to hear that Esther is actively writing with the intent to be published. Good luck to her!

kjmckendry said...

Great interview Esther and Jess. Esther was nice to learn more about you. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...