Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Random Obsession

Everyone has some odd or random obsession. Yes, I may seem obsessed with writing or skating, or even science, but for some reason I feel like those things don't really count. I am obsessed with Star Wars. No joke.
Ever since I was five years old, the story has captivated me. I remember watching it with my sister (who's two years younger than me) and becoming more and more interested each time I watched it. I remember pretending to be Princess Leia or Luke Skywalker, jumping from couch to couch trying to fight my greatest enemy, Darth Vader. I remember being amazed when movies I, II, and III came out. Even now, I can't get over the books! (I think I might have gotten my mom interested as well).
How can I resist a wonderful love story, a struggle between good and evil, and a galaxy full of beings that are capable of making intelligent decisions? To me, a girl who loves Astronomy, Star Wars is everything. Now, as if the setting of the story wasn't enough to keep me hooked forever, it's the ideas of the story that kick my writing into gear.
I'm still not sure what type of writer I am, Sci-Fi, Adventure, or something else, but I'm beginning to think it doesn't really matter. As long as I get the story out and make it all worth the effort, I will have done my job. But no matter what I write, I'm pretty sure I'll always be influenced by the story I fell in love with, ten years ago.


Do you have any random obsessions to share?


--Jess


P.S.


If you're not a Star Wars person you're probably thinking I'm crazy. Don't worry, I get that a lot.

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

Ice skating, reading. :)

Jenna said...

Hhhmmm what am I obsessed with. Well all of my friends that I am obsessed with Justin Bieber because I no ALOT about him.

Kate said...

Music.

PK HREZO said...

You are not alone!
I'm a hard core Star Wars fan too! I used to have Star Wars marathons before the first 3 episodes came out and just spend all day by myself watching 4, 5, and 6. I've enjoyed the books as well. The story is genius, altho the first 3 films are not nearly as good as the last 3 IMO. I think they've influenced the kinds of stories I like to write a lot.
But you're right! Just write the story you have to tell and figure out how to categorize it later. Sometimes they end up being a blend of the two. My most recent is sci-fi / fantasy.
BTW you won a book on my blog. Saving Redwind. Email me at pakazo77@gmail.com and let me know where to send it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...