Monday, August 8, 2011

Chapters

Okay so as of right now I'm on Chapter 54 in my story with around 480 pages double spaced (which is about 240 pages single spaced). Obviously I'll need to do a lot of cutting out for my second draft, but that still leaves me with my 'chapter' problem. So most of my chapters range in between 4-7 pages (single spaced). A few of them are two pages and a few of them are nine. What I'm wondering is if I should combine a few of the short chapters together, or if I should just leave them as they are. Everyone I've asked says they like short chapters, but is 54 chapters (and counting) too much?


--Jess

6 comments:

Jenna said...

I really want to read you're book when it is done. I think that 54+ chapters isn't that bad.

ali cross said...

I'm one who also likes short chapters. BUT, I'd wager at least a few of those shorter chapters could be combined using scene breaks or something. Though I'm not against two-page chapters if they fit the situation. ALSO, don't even worry about chapter numbers. Just go with the flow, do what's right for right now, and worry about combining (or not) chapters during revision. You've really been cranking it out! Good for you!

Jess said...

Haha thanks! That makes me much feel better about how long it is!

:D

Unknown said...

Jess, it depends on the genre you're writing re:chapter length and word/page count. But for your first draft, I say "just get it out"! You can combine/edit when you're done.

Kate said...

Not cutting! EDITING! In fact if anything I'd say adding would be more accurate. But honestly...I don't think that there's a lot that needs to be cut. Can't wait to reread AGAIN and edit everything!

Jess said...

Haha thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...