Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sparkfest Day 4: World Views

Today is the second to last day of Sparkfest! Thanks so much, Christine Tyler! I have been having so much fun with this!
The third question is:


Is there a book or author that changed your world view?


There are so many amazing books I've read, it would be hard not to give credit to only one. But of course, that isn't the question. And if I had to choose one book, only one, I would have to say it goes to The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. (Click on the link to read the summary of the story).


I read this book when I was eight years old. It was the book that helped me transition from little chapter books to the ones I read today. I'm not exactly sure if I understood everything I was reading at the time, but it changed me.


It may not have had such a big effect as Star Wars or The Hunger Games had on me, (I couldn't have written another post about those two!) but it is a story that will stay with me forever.


And then there's my story. It's strange to think that something I write could affect people all over the country (if it actually turns out to be good, that is). Could someone possibly stumble across my writing one day, then be changed for the rest of their lives?


Was there a book or author that changed your world view?


--Jess

9 comments:

Lisa Gail Green said...

I love that thought. That what you write could change someone's life. I think that's the most awesome thing in the world.

fairbetty said...

Me too... I think it's amazing... and a little scary... to think that what you write could change someone else's life!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

fairbetty said...

Ya know, have you read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card? If you liked Star Wars and all its otherworldliness, you might really like the Ender series. I know I did :)

cleemckenzie said...

Wonderful author, Alborn. Glad you got the spark from his book. Nice summary. Made me want to reread.

Good luck on the Sparkfest. Hope to see you at the Write Game and share the spark there.

Jess said...

Lisa~ I agree! Thanks for stopping bye!

Fairbetty~ Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out!

Cleemckenzie~ Thanks!

M Pax said...

Star Wars was quite a spark. I've heard of The Five People You Meet In Heaven, but haven't read it. Will have to add it to my list.

Jillian Schmidt said...

Great sparks, and I definitely second Fairbetty's suggestion, especially since I see your WIP is YA SF. (Also, apparently I like acronyms a lot.)

Laura S. said...

Hi, Jess! The Diary of Anne Frank changed my world view. I marvel at her hopeful outlook in the face of such oppressive darkness. It reminds me to feel grateful for who I am and where I am, and to always look for the good and beauty in everything no matter what.

Albom's books are wonderful too! I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie when I was about your age. I should get them from the library and re-read them!

Have a great weekend!

Christine Tyler said...

Oh man I BAWLED when I read that book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...