Monday, March 26, 2012

Knights of Microfiction Day!

Yeah, you guys know what that means! Today, is the last Monday of the month, so get ready for another round of Micro-Fiction. Today's prompt is:

In 250 words or less:
Use at least one of the following adjectives: delicate, repulsive, hostile
And at least one of the following nouns: New York City, My 16th Birthday (yes, this would be referring to you), and Kilts
For the words you don't use (unless you use them all), you can just use them as inspiration.

Now I like to write Microfiction (or flash fiction... same thing) to inspire me for my current WiP or to get new story ideas.

This one, I wrote for my current WiP, which happens to be the sequel to The Trials. I changed the names, just for the sake of it, and the situation is a little different, but anyway. Here goes nothing!

***

“So, you’re okay?” Lea asks.
“Yeah, I’m fine,” I manage.
But we both know that’s a lie. I’m not sure why she looks surprised. It’s not like we’re allowed to stand up and say something’s wrong. You either follow the rules or die. Even if following the rules means marrying someone they choose for you.
“I thought they only selected people over eighteen,” she says.
I know she’s trying to comfort me, but it’s not working.
“Apparently not,” I shoot back, taking a bite of the mushy salad before me. It’s not entirely repulsive, but the flavor is dull and sedated. Or maybe it’s because, since I got the message on my silverscreen that I was to be married in five days, I’ve been feeling so completely numb.
“What’s his name?”
“Aarin,” I choke.
Because all I can think of is Travis. He’s the one I should be with.
I lean closer to Lea and whisper, “They said it was going to be perfect, here. And we believed them. They promised.”
Lea shakes her head in worry. “Careful what you say. They might be listening. But you’re right. I’m sorry, Satine, but I should be going.”
I nod.
“Happy sixteenth birthday,” she says sarcastically. “Nice present they got you.”
I’m not the type to cry, but I feel the tears welling in my eyes. I struggle to hold them in because it’s supposed to be happy here. It’s supposed to be perfect.
But the universe was made from imperfection.


***

So there you have it!

And, this song seemed to fit pretty well with the theme, (and I love this song) so I thought it would be nice to share it.

Utopia by Within Temptation on Grooveshark

And don't forget to sign up on the linky list if you want to join in on the fun! On Wednesday, Kathy and I will choose a winner and host them on our blog on Friday! Just post before Tuesday night :)


Have a great day!

--Jess


6 comments:

Hildred Billings said...

Very nice, I am certainly interested in how things will play out for the character.

I especially loved the part about the salad. I'm glad I'm not the only one to describe a salad as "sedated", ha!

Tobi Summers said...

Ohh, I want to know what happens next!

Jenny S. Morris said...

Nicely done. Arranged marriage at 16, sucky.

Stephanie said...

Great entry Jess. It really captures the feel of the character's world, and her emotions. I could really sympathize with Satine (great name)

I posted my entry :) Glad I didn't forget this week.

Carrie-Anne said...

Very intriguing story! I hope my first attempt at Knights of Microfiction doesn't suck too badly. I wrote something with the MC in my current YA historical WIP.

Sylvia Ney said...

Great excerpt. I want to read more of her story.

New follower here. I’m getting a head start on visiting my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...