Monday, February 6, 2012

Character Blogfest Day 1



Today is the first day of the I'm Hearing Voices Character Blogfest hosted by Cassie Mae (at Reading, Writing, and Lovin' It) and Angela Cothran (at Live to Write... Edit when Necessary). I'm sorry that I'm posting so late in the day. We drove all the way to Indianapolis today (it was a 5 hour drive). Anyway! The first prompt is:

Characters on the couch:
Have one of your characters answer the following questions:

  1. What is your biggest vulnerability? Do others know this or is it a secret?
  2. What do people believe about you that is false?
  3. What would your best friend say is your fatal flaw? Why?
  4. What would the same best friend say is your redeeming quality? Why?
  5. What do you want the most? What will you do to get it?
Anyway, I'd like to introduce you to a brand new character in a story I came up with over the weekend. So, please welcome... Cody Jackson!

ME: So nice to have you here, Cody! Now, let's get started with this interview!


CODY: Um... okay.

ME: What's your biggest vulnerability? Do others know this or is it a secret?


CODY: Um, why should I tell you?


ME: Because I'm the writer and I can't write a good story unless I know things about you. I'm like your conscience. You can tell me anything.


CODY: Okay, fine. My biggest vulnerability is my curiosity. My dad who disappeared two years ago told me to protect information that I'm not even allowed to look at. I haven't done it yet because I respect my dad. But seeing that some dudes are coming after me for it, it must be pretty important. And of course it's a secret. I'm not going to tell the world that I'm hiding secret information.
Wait a second. How many people are going to be reading this post?


ME: Don't worry about it, Cody. My followers can keep a secret. So, what do people believe about you that is false?


CODY: That's a pretty big question. Everything people know about me, or think they know about me is false. I don't stick around in one place longer than a week. I don't usually go by my own name. I'm telling you, everything people know about me isn't true.


ME: Wow. Okay. So, what would your best friend say is your fatal flaw? Why?


CODY: I don't have time to make friends. But if I did, they'd say my fatal flaw is that I have trouble letting go. And because of that, I keep everyone at a distance. After my mom died when I was ten, I've tried to keep to myself so I don't get hurt again.


ME: I'm so sorry, Cody. What would your one redeeming quality be? And why?


CODY: I can survive on my own. And for me, that's saying a lot. My dad never said much about why people were coming after the information but if I don't keep it safe, terrible things could happen.


ME: What do you want the most? And what will you do to get it?


CODY: *hesitates* I want my father back. And I'll do whatever it takes to get him back.


ME: You'd do anything?


CODY: *nods*


ME: Cody, thank you so much for joining us today! I know you're kind of on the run so I'll let you go. Good luck finding your dad. Hope to see you soon!


Thanks for stopping by, today! To read other people's entries, go HERE.

--Jess

21 comments:

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Cody sounds great and I'm intrigued by the story now. Great voice too.

Jenny S. Morris said...

Oh yay, I'm a Jedi.

I love this. So much story with so little. Nicely done!

Miranda Hardy said...

Love this character, and not just because he has the same name as my son. Who, btw, thinks you are now stalking him. lol (He's 12)

Good job with the voice.

Sherri Lackey said...

I hope Cody finds his dad. What an enormous responsibility he placed on him!. I hope he has a good explanation for leaving his kid in a situation like that! :) Good job with the interview!

Avery Marsh said...

Okay. Now you've piqued my curiosity, too. I love the voice and the premise sounds really interesting. Can't wait to see more of this. :)

Jess said...

Thanks for stopping by :)

Jess said...

Ooh I'm glad you like it! Thanks for stopping by :)

Cristina said...

so, so good. Poor Cody. I really want to know what that secret information is :)

Sharon Bayliss said...

Hi Jess,

I loved seeing the relationship between you and your character and how you coaxed the information out of him. The dialog seemed very real, which I know it's tough because characters don't usually come out and talk about things like this. The premise sounds great too. Good job!

Sharon

Krista McLaughlin said...

Sounds like a real character to me, with depth! :)

Rena said...

Interesting character, I'd like to know more about the secret dad left behind.

Unknown said...

First - I like that when I come to your blog, I'm a Jedi.

Secondly, I want to know what this secret information is that he's protecting!! I'm sure he does, too!

Angela Cothran said...

Jess--Cody has such a strong voice for a character you just discovered! Well done :) I'm so glad you posted today!

Sari Webb said...

Hi Jess, Cody sounds like he's got a pretty lonely life, and a tough situation carrying around information that puts him in danger but that he's not allowed to look at! I hope he finds his dad.

Jess said...

Thanks for stopping by :)

Jess said...

Yeah, me too! Thanks for stopping by :)

Cassie Mae said...

I love this kid already! I'm gonna try to help him get his daddy back! :)

Great job!

Jess Stork said...

I like the setup here, how you have one character who's doesn't know what he's protecting and if it's worth protecting. Also, I feel your pain on the late posting... I had some problems with scheduling my post and it went up late too.

Sara said...

Cody sounds interesting, and really flushed out for a new character.

JE said...

Oh, poor Cody! I love him and I don't even know him. So much said in such a short amount of time. NICE job.

~JD

Jenna Cooper said...

He sounds like he's had a rough time! Really interesting, I love the interview. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...