Friday, February 10, 2012

Emotion Flash Fiction--> Character Blogfest Day 3

Today is the third and final day of Cassie and Angie's I'm Hearing Voices Character Blogfest. Thanks so much, guys this has been so much fun!

Anyway, the prompt today is:

Emotion Flash Fiction:


Emotion is the engine of a story. Pick an emotion and in a flash fiction piece of 250 words MAKE us feel it! We want to connect with your character. This will be a challenge in 250 words.


I always love writing Flash Fiction pieces! (If you guys do to, please check THIS out.) Anyway, I thought I'd choose an emotion less powerful than hate, fear or love. (Random Fact: Fear and hate are located in the most primitive part of the brain (making them two of the most powerful emotions).) So the emotion I chose is........ Doubt! This scene will make more sense if you read my first and second entries for the Character Blogfest.

You guys tell me if I did a good job.

***

Cody stared blankly at the computer screen and fumbled with the flash-drive in his hand. He had a choice.


The thought had occurred to him before but he'd never come close to acting on it.


"Forget it," he said aloud. He turned away from his laptop. His dad said the less he knew the better. That he'd be safer.


But what if his dad had lied? He didn't want to think about it but it could be true. His dad could have abandoned him. What if the flash-drive had nothing on it and this was a way to get Cody away from him?


Oh, how he hoped that wasn't true. But then, he kind of hoped his dad hadn't been captured and he wasn't being chased for information, either.


When it came down to it, he wasn't sure which was better. In the end, maybe it was better if he never knew. He turned back to the computer.


But Eva was right. If there was anything on the flash-drive at all, it would give them answers. And wouldn't that be worth it? Who'd know that he'd ever looked at it?


Cody had a choice. Now he had to make one.


He popped the flash-drive into the computer before he could stop himself. A single file opened. He froze. The first two words were in Latin but he knew what they meant.


He blinked away his sleepiness, wondering if he'd read it wrong. He hadn't. His jaw dropped.


"Oh my god."


***

So there you go!

Hopefully that was enough of a cliffhanger to end the blogfest with. Can't wait to read what everyone else wrote!

--Jess

21 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Wow, talk about leaving me in suspense! What'd it say? :p

Good portrayal of doubt here. The back and forth of making the decision was very well done.

Cristina said...

WHA T DOES IT SAY?? you are killing us here, LOL

Love all the suspense. It sounds like you have a great story here :)

Miranda Hardy said...

Yeah, that left us hanging. Lol
Cody is a great character.

Hildred Billings said...

Interesting! I could really feel the doubt here. I also want to know what it says ;)

Dani said...

Are you kidding me? I wish I knew Latin! Leave me hanging?! It's LOST all over again!

Meradeth Houston said...

Awesome entry! Love the cliffhangery-ness of it :) Also, good portrayal of doubt!

Cassie Mae said...

Totally felt doubt here! I always thought it was my indecisive nature whenever I did stuff like this, lol.

And of course I want to know what the heck????

Angela Cothran said...

Oh, I remember Cody's dad giving him instructions on Wednesday! I felt hesitation and worry. I think this situation would be so scary!!! Well done Jess :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

What did it say? Very intriguing - well done.

Rena said...

Oh nice, I love the internal conflict here.

Sara said...

Way to leave us in suspense! What did it say!!! Great internal conflict. I totally felt Cody's indecision.

Unknown said...

What did it say!?!? OMG.

Yvie Gonya said...

Ahaha, that was a fantastic cliff-hanger! I want to know what's on the flash drive so badly

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good plot. You could have at least given the Latin words though. :)

Sarah said...

Fear and Hate may be the most primitive of emotions, but I would argue that the ones that we can more easily overlook, such as doubt, can be the more potent. They can grow silently, like a cancer, until it's too late and we're consumed. I could defiantly feel the doubt here!

And it's nice to see another Teen in the 'fest! (Even though I'm technically only a Teen until April. Boo.)

Geoff Maritz said...

Doubt, suspicion, distrust and shock. And to finish off a cliff hanger. Nice.

Carol Kilgore said...

Awesome. I want to read this story!

Hywela Lyn said...

Great hook there, Jess, I really want to know what happens next!

Leigh Covington said...

Oh man! Totally leavin' me hangin'! It's killing me. This story is so intriguing and now I'm dying for more! This is excellent. Love it!

Melissa Sarno said...

Well, you certainly left me in suspense! I definitely feel his doubt, that push and pull. Excellent job :)

Trisha said...

Love how this ends - on a note of definite suspense, as has been mentioned already! I'd definitely want to read on.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...