Monday, February 27, 2012

Knights of Micro-Fiction #2

Hello guys! Today is Micro-Fiction day (proclaimed by Kathy and me)!


First of all, I'd really like to thank Rachael Harrie for introducing me to Flash Fiction in her Third Campaign. I started blogging in August of 2011 just before I finished the first draft of The Trials. It feels like a lifetime ago! Anyway, I'd never heard of Flash Fiction before the Campaign. Now, I'm not sure what I'd do without it! Flash Fiction has really helped me develop my stories in short snippets that I can share with you!

It's helped me learn that saying less is really, most of the time, more. I know a lot of people have trouble writing Flash Fic and I'm not saying it's easy. But it's a ton of fun!

I read a lot of entries in the First Challenge of the Fourth Campaign and most of the people who said that it was their first time did an amazing job! Besides, it gives readers a great idea of how and what you write! So, (no pressure) if you want, go ahead and join the fun here or here. Either one is fine!

Anyway, the prompt today is:

Write a Micro-Fiction/Flash Fiction of 250 words or less beginning with these words: "After all this time, there it was..."

I think it's fine to use a little excerpt from your own WiP... that's what I usually do. Except, for me it's usually a part I haven't written yet.

So here I go!

***

Guardians of Paradise (currently unwritten scene from WiP)

After all this time, there it was. In the last place it should be, the one place we thought it wouldn't be. But that didn't change a thing. Because, there it was.

"Is- is that the last one?" I asked.

Cody nodded. "Yeah. That's the last one."

"So," I shifted uncomfortably. "How do we get it?"

He turned to me. "It was never meant to be reached, Eva. Not by normal people, anyway."

The cave dropped into an almost endless pit before us. Only a single pillar in the center stood at our height. But there was no way of reaching it.

"You're not exactly normal, Cody," I remarked.

He shot me an amused look. "You think I can fly?"

"You shielded me from an explosion with your bare hands. I have no idea what you can or can't do," I said.

"Hey, what's that?"

A sliver of light shimmered like a reflection in midair. Cody turned to me then back to the shimmer, a strange sense of realization in his eyes.

He reached down and grabbed a few pebbles of gravel then threw them down into the dark abyss. Only, they fell just a few feet before hitting an invisible barrier.

Cody cautiously reached one foot out into the endless pit. Then the other foot followed. He walked across an invisible bridge. I held my breath but walked across to the golden object.

"What is it?" I asked.

He smiled. "The final key to paradise."

***

Viola!

This is seriously helping out with my WiP. Anyway, hope you liked it! And if you decide to join, the deadline is Tuesday night! Have fun and visit some more people!


--Jess

10 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Great piece Jess. Glad you are enjoying flash fiction so much.

Samantha May said...

I love flash fiction! It has been so so SO helpful with my WIP. Great job!

Aldrea Alien said...

Eee, this is so much fun! Doubly so cause I missed signing up for the fourth campaign (by a day, no less).
My attempt can be found here: http://thardrandia.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/knights-of-microfiction.html

Oh, and aren't most important things in the last place you'd expect them to be? ^_^

Jennifer M said...

Enjoyed your piece Jess. Sounds like you've got a really interesting WIP on your hands. I look forward to reading more.

fairbetty said...

I dig your dialog sequences, Jess. You pull it off so naturally. I am always struggling with dialog. Maybe that's what I'll do for my entry... for practice. Great job.

Krista McLaughlin said...

Very cool scene!

Unknown said...

I agree with fairbetty, you've got a flow with dialogue. Nice!

Unknown said...

I had a go at this one, too. (Maybe I am just putting off working on the novel, but I still have fun!)

Sarah Tokeley said...

Ooh this is so intriguing. Very well written :-)

McKenzie McCann said...

Your voice has this beautiful simplistic quality to it. It sounds like it's coming straight from your mouth, almost like you're talking directly to me. It really amps up the suspense, in some way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...