Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Character Blogfest Day 2

Today is the second day of Cassie Mae and Angela Cothran's I'm Hearing Voices Character Blogfest. The prompt is:

Dialogue Introduction:

Have two characters introduce each other using only dialogue- no back story, no internalization, just dialogue between the two. Max. 250 words.

Hmm. This is going to be tough. But here I go!

***

"Dad, it's 11:30. That's a lot later than usual."


"I thought you'd be in bed by now, Cody."


"Well, I'm not. I was starting to get worried."


"Everything's fine."


"You're never this late."


"I said, 'everything's fine'."


"Can't you please just tell me what's going on? There's obviously something wrong."


"Cody, I... There's been some trouble with my job."


"Like what?"


"I found something I shouldn't have. Some information."


"You're leaving me in suspense."


"I can't tell you what that information is but if it gets into the wrong hands, terrible things could happen."


"What could possibly happen?"


"I don't know."


...

"So, what are you going to do?"


"I have to keep the information safe. And if I'm not around, you have to."


"What do you mean, 'if you're not around'? You're not going anywhere. Right?"


"Cody, this information is valuable. If only I could tell you-"


"Then tell me."


"No. You'd think I'm crazy."


"I already do."


"Just knowing could get you hurt. As long as you're oblivious, they can't hurt you."


"Dad, you're scaring me. I thought you were a researcher or something."


"I am."


"Who's 'they'? You said 'they' can't hurt me. Are they looking for the information?"


"Cody, listen to me. This is really important."


"What?"


"If I'm ever not back by midnight-"


"Don't talk like that."


"Cody. If I'm ever not back by midnight, I need you to destroy the computers, take this flash-drive, and run."


"You're crazy."


"Understood?"


"Understood."


***

So there you have it! Hope you enjoy!

--Jess

P.S.

For the Campaigners visiting my blog today, HELLO & NICE TO MEET YOU!!

49 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Wow! Powerful dialogue between them.

Morgan said...

"I already do" <---LOL. My fav line! Verrry fun, Jess!

Unknown said...

this is my first time on the blog, following from Twitter and now you're in my group for the campaign! Sometime we shall have to discuss this ice skating interest. Are you a skater, former skater? Or just a fan? There's an Olympic season coming up....

Emily R. King said...

Great suspense. I have a feeling things aren't going to turn out well for Cody, at least for a while. Good job!

DLGardner said...

Oh no! What information?...you just know he isn't going to come home by midnight. Great suspense and cliff hanger.

Rena said...

I like this. I want to know what the secret is! Keep up the good work.

Jenny S. Morris said...

I love this! Does this happen before the book starts? Because from your couch interview on Monday it sounded like he was already on the. SO want to know more!!

Lisa said...

Ooh, great set-up for a suspenseful story!

Shallee said...

How intriguing! I'm interested in the relationship that comes up here, and very fascinated by what the information is that could get these people killed. Nice job!

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh wow! You've certainly left me in suspense. 'Take this flash drive and run!' My goodness!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

That was, indeed, intense! Great job. I want to know more. Roland

Sherri Lackey said...

I think it's time for Cody to see what's on that flash drive! Great post!

Geoff Maritz said...

I enjoyed the dialogue and the suspense was very evident. There was only one point about which I was a bit unsure, Cody doesn't know what her father does for a living, or at least it read that way. My daughter knows exactly what I do, in fact she knows what movie I'm working on or what project. Cody's uncertainty shouldn't be there. Otherwise a very cool introduction. Well done, Geoff.

Unknown said...

Great job with suspense!! I agree with Sherri! Cody needs to see what's on the flash drive! So interesting.

Leigh Covington said...

Awesome! Seriously... you just left me wanting more! Great job. Very suspenseful.

Melissa Sugar said...

Very suspenseful exchange. You did an excellent job. I really hated that it ended; I wanted more.

Jessica Salyer said...

Very intriguing. I want to know more about the info.

Angela Scott said...

Nice to meet you fellow campaigner :)

Writing with only dialogue is a great writing exercise. I'll have to try it myself.

Good job.

Unknown said...

What happens next!? YOu have hooked us with dialogue alone.

Angela Cothran said...

Oooo mysterious and tense. I love it! Fab job, Jess :)

Reiko said...

The improvement in your mastery of the written English language before and after your first novel, “The Trials,” is phenomenal. Young Jedi, you’re all set for the rest of your life with the knowledge to correctly use apostrophes, commas, etc. Congratulations!

I loved the conversation. You have a knack for keeping people wanting to read more of your stories.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Oh, very gripping. Love the I already do line.

Emily Genther said...

Sounds interesting. I'd love to get to know these characters more.

Unknown said...

I'm thinking conspiracy of some kind. Its a great post and I'm curious for answers.

Sara said...

Great post, you really brought the plot into it, it was a great intro to Cody.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow I want to know more!!!!

Theresa Milstein said...

Wow, I want to know more too. I hope he'll be okay. What a great entry! It helped that you made each speaker have a unique color so it was easy to keep track.

Sarah Ahiers said...

oh man, this was great! I would totally read more!

Anonymous said...

Great intrigue and using the family angle too. Nicely done!

Kyra Lennon said...

Ooh, I was gripped reading that! You kept the dialogue very simple, but sometimes that is absolutely the best thing to do! Well done :D

Jess said...

I am a skater and always will be :)
Thanks for stopping by!

Jess said...

Of course he won't be home by midnight! Thanks for stopping by :)

Jess said...

Thanks :)

Jess said...

Yeah, Cody isn't supposed to know what his dad does. I guess that's supposed to be the mystery of the story!

I'm glad you liked it!

Jess said...

I'm glad you liked it!
Thanks for stopping by :)

Jess said...

Thanks for stopping by, grandma!

Jess said...

Thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked it :)

Jess said...

Thanks!

Jess said...

I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for stopping by :)

Hope Roberson said...

Ooooh, great build up! I love this and want to read more about the mystery information :)

Carol Kilgore said...

I like this a lot. I want to read the whole thing.

Old Kitty said...

I like it!! I like the mystery and intrigue as hinted by the dad - I like Cody's concern too! Yay! take care
x

Super Happy Jen said...

I love dialogue, characters take on a life of their own and write a story for you.

Unknown said...

I'd be super freaking out if I was Cody. Talk about drama!

Geoff Maritz said...

Oh, so Cody's a boy, that wasn't evident from the dialogue, ok cool. It makes a whole lot more sense now, thanks for the new picture, Geoff.

jonyangorg said...

Dropping in from the campaign. Glad to see awesome teen writers participating too!

Kerri Cuev said...

Good stuff!!!

*waves* from the Campaign :)

Hywela Lyn said...

Great dialogue, it conveyed a lot of information and is full of intrigue and suspense. Great job!

Trisha said...

Great dialogue! If I was the kid I'd be verging on panic around about now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...