Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group


Lately, I've found that I'm insecure about a lot of things.

First of all, I signed up for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest, which I'm probably not ready for. Actually, I'm very sure I'm not ready for it. I don't feel like my book is good enough yet. And with all the helpful advice my beta readers gave me, I've still got a long way to go.

Of course, I signed up anyway. Mostly because I know the worst that can happen is that they just won't pick me to go on to the next round. And that's a thousand times better than a bunch of other 'worst things' I can come up with.

Another thing I'm insecure about is the new monthly bloghop, The Knights of MicroFiction, that my mom and I are co-hosting. It's really just a fun way to get to know people and get your creativity flowing through writing short pieces of fiction. But like Alex J. Cavanaugh said in his post today: what if you threw a party and no one attended?

I know it sounds silly but it's a real insecurity that I think most of us have. Because if you make something up, and no one shows, what does that say about you?

To my surprise, a few people (three, to be exact :) ) did participate, and I'd like to thank them so much for supporting us in our first bloghop. I'd also like to thank all of my followers for joining my site! I FINALLY HIT 200!! So, I must be doing something right! You guys rock! And just as a reminder, if you'd like to participate next month in our Knights of MicroFiction, here's the Linky List you can sign up on!

--Jess


17 comments:

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I like the what's the worse that can happen attitude. It has gotten me far.

fairbetty said...

The thing is, if you don't put yourself out there and take a risk, you'll never know what might happen :)

Also, I am sssooooo slllloooowwwww! I have to finish reading your novel! I have just not made time properly. No excuses. Beginning of next week, I promise!!!

Happy Groundhog day tomorrow :)

Jess said...

Thanks for stopping by! And don't worry, it's totally fine. I'm a slow reader, so I understand :)
Happy Groundhog day tomorrow to you, too!

Krista McLaughlin said...

I know what you mean about being insecure, but it's okay to be a little insecure. Too proud would be annoying. I'm doing ABNA again, my third time, and I'm just trying not to take it so seriously. There is only a .02% chance that my novel would win. It's more about the experience of your fist contest and getting to know other writers through it! :)

Congrats on 200 followers, that's awesome!

McKenzie McCann said...

I considered submitting to ABNA, but like you, didn't think I was ready. Even if you don't win, there's always next year.

You'll rock your first blog hop. I have faith in you.

200 followers is a big accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself.

David P. King said...

Wow! You did hit 200! How awesome is that?

Yeah. I think I need to join this group. It would be nice to gain some insight into some insecurities of mine (yes, I have them too).

Count me in for next month. :)

Cassie Mae said...

Lol, I'm a fellow ABNA 'not quite ready yet' entry. But I said the same thing too. Eh, if it doesn't move forward, it's cuz it wasn't ready. Moving on. :)

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I know that fear! My-very-first-ever contest on my blog garnered only a few entries. I had given a fairly short window to enter, because all the blog contests I've entered get quite a few entrants. But I failed to take into account that mine was a young blog, and apparently only a few people were paying attention in those early days! So I learned about tweeting and networking, and my other contests have done better.

It sounds like inexperience can easily be mistaken for insecurity.

Kate Coursey said...

Hey Jess! Nice to meet you. I'm constantly insecure about my writing....I'm one of those people who needs affirmation from others that my writing is good, which is why I would never be able to self publish. When my agent says he likes a draft, I get so incredibly happy! But then the rest of the time I think it's crap :). I would love to join your blog hop, but I literally cannot, for the life of me, write short fiction. Believe me, I've tried. It's downright embarrassing.

Jess said...

Good luck in ABNA! This is my first time ever, so I'm a little nervous.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jess said...

That's okay. And thanks for joining the bloghop!

Jess said...

Thanks for joining :)

Jess said...

LOL I'm not all that good at it either, I just think it's fun :)
Thanks for stopping by!

Golden Eagle said...

I definitely think that's an insecurity a lot of people share--I know I have it!

Congratulations on 200+ Followers! :)

Reiko said...

Jessica, you are wise far beyond your years of just 15.

Here is a quote by Thomas Edison: "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

With every thought you express, you make me so proud to be your Grandma.

Jess said...

Thanks for stopping by :)
<3 <3 <3

Melissa Sugar said...

I am pretty sure we are all insecure about the party thing. It kind of reminds me of being in high school again (parents going out of town-having that first big party) and worrying for hours that it will be a dud.

Congrats on 200 followers and good luck on your amazon contest. I admire you for entering and you have a good attitude about the worst thing that can happen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...