Monday, February 13, 2012

Origins Blogfest



Today is the day of the Origins Blogfest, hosted by DL HammonsAlex J. Cavanaugh and Matthew MacNish. So, where did my writing journey begin?

In May of 2001, we moved to Philadelphia PA. I was only four years old and my sister was only two. We'd never lived in a city before so it was quite a change for us. The biggest change was that we had to walk everywhere. We walked to the museums a couple miles away from our apartment every single day!

I remember complaining all the time about how my legs hurt from walking. In the summertime when it was burning hot outside, I wanted to collapse on the concrete and ask my mom to carry me.
So to pass the time, my dad came up with a system to forget about how much our feet were hurting and how unbelievably hot it was. We told stories.

It started out with just mom and dad. They told us stories about two girls, "Hallie and Felina", and the adventures they had together. Pretty soon, my sister and I caught on. We continued the stories of "Hallie and Felina". I don't really remember what the stories were about but ever since then I've been telling stories.

Of course, there were huge pieces of inspiration like watching Star Wars and reading certain books that helped me along. But what really made me start was those stories about Hallie and Felina.

So, yeah, that's how I started writing!

How did you guys start writing? What made you want to become a writer?


--Jess

P.S.

I have no idea where my parents came up with the names Hallie and Felina. Maybe they asked me and my sister to make it up but I have no idea lol :)

23 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

That was cool of your parents to make up a story like that. Mine sure as heck never did.

Unknown said...

What a great way to make the time go by faster!

Sarah Tokeley said...

I love that both your parents were in on this :-)

Miranda Hardy said...

What a great memory to have. So glad your parents told you those stories.

Emily R. King said...

So you invented walking buddies, and BAM! You're a writer.
Now if that isn't an original story, what is? :)
Thanks for sharing!

Melissa Sarno said...

I'd like to hear more about Hallie and Felina. :) I hope you never stop telling stories to pass the time!

Luanne G. Smith said...

That was a real gift having your parents tell you stories. I don't think my parents ever read to us. And they were both teachers!! But my grandmother did read us books occasionally, thank goodness.

Gwen Gardner said...

I love that "story"! What an inventive way to preoccupy your minds from the long, hot walk. Tag, you're it! You've been tagged in a game of 11 Questions being passed around by the Platform-Building campaigners. You can pick up your questions at this link: http://rungwenrun.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-questions-from-platform-building.html

Ellie Garratt said...

Sounds like your parents had the story-telling gene. Loved reading this!

K.T. Hanna said...

Looks like you caught the bug from your parents. I think that's a great story - awesome origins :D

Unknown said...

I used to have to walk everywhere when I lived in my town, too and I complained!! Oh my gosh it was so annoying to me! I just came from your mother's blog, I love that you all blog together! So wonderful!

Reiko said...

So Hallie and Felina in Philadelphia were the Big Bang moment in your universe. How wonderful to be able to capture your memories so vividly from the age of 4! Even more wonderful is how your story telling captivates the readers - to always want to read more!

On 9/11 this year, I hope you’ll write a short story about what you remember from that day in 2001. That is a day when everyone remembers where he or she was. That being said, I was stunned to learn from you how much you remembered. You were still only 4 years old on that day.

davidgmckendry said...

I remember that...except I believe it was Harold and Francine...aliases, I think, for your Grandpa and Grandma...about their adventures of trying to get over to Philadelphia to see you. :)

Kimberlee Turley said...

Hey Jess, also a Star Wars fan! (Probably not as much as you though.)

Fun Origin story, thanks for sharing it.

Jessica Salyer said...

What a wonderful way for your mom and dad to get your imagination working. Thanks for sharing your story.

Creepy Query Girl said...

that's so cute. I do the same thing with my girls except I have to say 'princess' before their names:) lol Thanks so much for sharing your origins!

Matthew MacNish said...

Anything that involves Star Wars, and inspires kids to be creative, is pretty cool as far as I'm concerned.

DL Hammons said...

Maybe you'll use Hallie and Felina as characters in one of your books someday? :)

Thank you for sharing!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Your father was a wise man.

Scarlett said...

As L.G. said, your parents storytelling was a true gift. You are so young, and already I see a budding author! You have many years ahead of you to create. Writing is one spectacular art form to help you through your journey!

Really cool to *meet* you here in the Fest, Jessica!

PS: I fiddle a wee bit with the Fiddle myself. Didn't find my groove until my thirties. WISH I'd been more focused on my dreams when I was your age!

Jocelyn Rish said...

I wish I'd realized I wanted to be a writer as early in my life as you did. I suspect I'd be a lot further along in my journey. :-) We were in the same YA Campaign group last time, so it's good to share a group with you again.

nutschell said...

I love how your parents got you started on storytelling. :)Great to meet you through the Origins blogfest.


your newest follower,
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Jeremy Bates said...

Great story! how wonderful your parents involve you to create such a good story!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...