Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for Xenophile

X is for Xenophile

I'm not entirely sure if this is a word, since my spellchecker says it's spelled wrong.  But the definition on google says:

xen·o·phile/ˈzenəˌfīl/

Noun:
An individual who is attracted to foreign peoples, manners, or cultures.


I know I've been writing a flash fic for each day, but I have no idea what I could possibly write for Xenophile.  The only other X words that came into mind were:  Xenophobic, which is the fear of foreigners or foreign things, and Xiphias, which is the genus of the swordfish.

It was either that or Xylophone.


So if you don't mind, I'll just awkwardly creep around this letter and pretend that this post was in some way a 'success'.

Okay, and here's a cool song called Palladio, played by Escala:


Let me just say, this song is awesome to write to.  Especially to really dramatic scenes.

So there you go!!


Anyone else having trouble finding an X word?

Have an X-citing day!

--Jess


P.S.


I'm not sure how much an individual has to be attracted to foreign things to actually be considered a Xenophile, but I'd like to think that I'm somewhere in there. 

10 comments:

Tobi Summers said...

Haha, that was almost my word! But then it didn't mean what I thought it did. So I switched the xylophone. LOL, that's a weird coincidence.

fairbetty said...

X is a hard letter... it fills a niche... but it doesn't always play nicely with others. Good job facing up to it!

Rena said...

I had a friend in high school named Xaxi (pronounced zah-zee), so there's a special place in my heart for X (she was a Xenophile too).

davidgmckendry said...

Grandma Reiko will be happy to know you like foreigners...but you didn't have much choice. You also seem quite fond of foreign food. Maybe there is a separate word for that...like Xenophoodia...haha. And you can just creep around any letters you want.

Jaime Morrow said...

I ended up going with XX + XY POV books (books written from two different perspectives——male andfemale). What a tough letter to write on, though! The word xenophile is really interesting, and it makes me think of those points in history where there was so much fascination with other cultures (fashion, decor, food, etc.).

Reiko said...

Xerox. Xanadu. Both of these are relatively new made-up words; not the kind that would show up in a dictionary. Yep. X is a difficult letter to start out with. You did well, Jessica! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Great music! I'd be using it while writing.
The word xenophile is exact opposite of xenophobia and not that commonly used. I think everyone is a xenophile these days with technology bringing people closer.

Meradeth Houston said...

Living abroad lately has made me much more of a xenophile, if that's possible! There's all kinds of crazy fun food and traditions out there. Plus, it's just a fun word to say.

Chuck said...

I think I struggled with X last year but i had it early this time around.

Tile Contractors Springfield said...

Greeat reading

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...