Thursday, April 7, 2016

F is for…

My A to Z Challenge theme is: characters from my From the Ashes trilogy.

Since none of my characters in my book have a name that starts with the letter F, I have a good excerpt for today from my book.

F is for…

From the Ashes

"Read it," he orders.

"It's the spark that keeps you moving,
The final rope to which you hold,
Hope is a lie, because in the end,
There's only the dark and the cold.

Take from others all you prize,
Through fire you'll prevail,
The sacrifice for victory
Is the same, should you fail.

When lies have finally burned away,
For revenge the silence cries,
When flames of rage have torn us down,
From the ashes, we shall rise."

The words make me shiver. There's an uncomfortable silence after I finish. Azad touches my shoulder and helps me to my feet.

"You know what they're asking for?" Marco asks.

Azad nods. "There's only one thing it could be."

My worst fears are confirmed. My blood runs cold in my veins and I shake my head, backing away from Azad. "No," I say. "No, that's not what it means."

Azad raises an eyebrow. "That's all it could mean, Jaina. This is what the IA demands. We must show no mercy."

***

Thanks for stopping by today everyone! Yesterday I didn't get around to sharing my favorite posts for yesterday, so here we go today!


  1. Bean Grower and other F names
  2. Found
  3. Stormy's Epic Adventurous Quest Journey – F

Comment and leave a link to your blog so that I can check it out! Don't forget to check out other A to Z Challenge Participants here, and make sure to stop by my new blog about life, love, history, science, and all sorts of random things, My Unofficial Guide To Everything.

Have a wonderful day :)

–Jess

5 comments:

Patrick Stahl said...

I like it!

J.L. Campbell said...

There's some vivid imagery in the the piece he gives her to read.
Thanks for the shout out!

Liz A. said...

Uh oh...

Unknown said...

Oooh, what DOES it mean? Great hook!

The AtoZ of EOS
#TeamDamyanti

kjmckendry said...

I love this part of the book! Well actually I love the whole book! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...